Coit Tower with Moon, Bennett Hall, 1995
Future site of the Coit Tower
The Observatory, built by Frederick O. Layman in the style of a German baronial castle, opened in 1882 with a restaurant and concert hall. Unfortunately the cable car system designed to climb the steep Hill was unsuccessful, and the place failed. It was burnt down in 1903.
Observatory and Signal Station, Telegraph Hill, c. 1890
Observatory and Signal Station, Telegraph Hill, c. 1870
Telegraph Hill, showing crowd assembled on the future site of Coit Tower c1923
Pioneer Park, at the summit of the Hill, was donated to the City in 1876. Many plans were debated for its development. Eventually, in 1923, a serpentine road was graded to the summit. The parking area was surrounded by a 4 foot concrete balustrade with large decorative urns.
Coit Tower during Passing Storm, Bennett Hall 1992
Coit Tower from Kearny Street looking north.
8 x 10" view camera, Bennett Hall 1994