Mission Dolores c1880
from original Albumen photograph by Taber
Dolores and Sixteenth Streets
The sixth mission in California was established here by Padre Junipero Serra in 1776, and named Mission San Francisco de Asis a la Laguna de los Dolores (Saint Francis of Assisi at the Lagoon of Sorrows).
It is the oldest intact building (foreground) in the City, and one of the oldest Mission Churches in California.
The Wikipedia Story:
The Mission was founded on June 29, 1776, by Lieutenant José Joaquin Moraga and Father Francisco Palóu (a companion of Father Junipero Serra), both members of the de Anza Expedition, which had been charged with bringing Spanish settlers to Alta (upper) California, and evangelizing the local Natives, the Ohlone.
Presently there seems to be raging debate over who built the first structure of note in San Francisco, with some experts arguing against Andy Galvin, noted historian both for the Mission, as well as the Ohlone Indians who truly were HERE first.
READ the story on SF curbed here:
SFCurbed post on the history of Mission Dolores